Graduation is the culmination of all your hard work during your time at University. It’s a chance to celebrate your achievements and look back at the years you have spent in Liverpool.
We’re keen to make your day a special one, so read our dedicated checklist below to ensure your day runs smoothly. #LivUniGrad
Before the day:
- Check your graduation itinerary email – you will receive this in the week leading up to your ceremony.
- Read this guide to academic dress so you know what you will be wearing on the day.
- Print your gown order confirmation to bring with you on the day of your ceremony. This will mean that your order can be processed quickly.
Plan your journey:
- If you are planning to drive, check out parking options. Parking on campus will be extremely limited on the day of your ceremony.
- The public multi-storey car park on Mount Pleasant is the largest nearby parking facility, use postcode L3 5TB. Visit the Liverpool City Council Parking website for a list of city centre car parks and how much they charge.
- If you are planning to travel by train, make sure you check your travel plans in detail and leave plenty of time.
On the day:
- Arrive at the Liverpool Guild of Students (building number 501 on the University Campus Map, Grid Ref: D6) to collect your gown and tickets at least 1 hour and 15 minutes before the start of your ceremony. For the exact collection times, please refer to your graduation itinerary email.
- As the ceremonies are formal occasions, we suggest appropriate dress for beneath academic robes would be a lounge suit, shirt and tie, or a skirt/trousers and shirt/blouse. Footwear should be formal – although you should be aware that, if you are able to, you will be required to use stairs when being admitted to your degree. Please choose your footwear carefully. You are also reminded that all graduands are required to wear their mortar boards throughout the proceedings and not just when you are admitted to your degree
- Official graduation day photos and University merchandise will all be available in the Guild on the day of your graduation. The official University class rings, cufflinks and charms will be available in the Guild and online.
- Use our official hashtag #LivUniGrad to share graduation photos and videos on social media. Anyone who posts a photo using this hashtag to Twitter or Instagram can also collect a free print of it, providing your profile is set to public, from our Alumni team in the Guild.
- Also, visit the Alumni team to pick up your free alumni pin badge!
- Make sure you get to the Philharmonic Hall and are in your own seat (which will be clearly marked on your ticket) 45 minutes before the ceremony is due to begin. It’s important to check you are in the correct seat as, if not, you could be recorded as ‘absent’ and may not be admitted to your degree correctly.
- When it is your turn to go on stage you will be directed by staff to the right-hand side of the stage in a continuous procession. Give your name to the officer at the foot of the steps and then follow their instructions to proceed onto the stage to collect your degree.
- After being admitted, you should continue to walk across the stage, collect your certificate, and then return to your seat as directed by the ushers.
- You have graduated! Congratulations!
After your graduation:
- You will need to return your gown on the day of your ceremony to the Guild no later than 6.30pm on Monday, 2 December and by 7.30pm on Tuesday, 3 December.
- You can watch all ceremonies live via the University website. You can also order a professional recording of your ceremony from Achievement TV.
- Photos of the moment you graduated will be available to buy from Ede and Ravenscroft in the Guild after the ceremony. You can also order photos online, find out more on our Award Photographs webpage.
- All undergraduate and postgraduate taught degree students graduating will receive a Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR). Your HEAR is an electronic document which replaces the more traditional paper academic transcript or Diploma Supplement. At the graduation ceremony you will receive your award certificate and you will be issued with your HEAR electronically following your graduation ceremony. Please visit our HEAR webpages for more information.
- Start making the most of our 228,000 strong alumni network by following the Alumni team on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn group.
- Don’t forget to update your contact details so that we can continue to support you with tailored careers guidance and networking opportunities. Once you graduate, your University email account will expire, which means you won’t be able to access some of our online services. If you update your contact details we will still be able to offer you:
- Careers advice and support
- Free online journals and library access
- Discounts on hotels and holiday accommodation
- Access to Liverpool Connect – our online networking platform that lets you connect with thousands of alumni worldwide
- Invitations to social, careers and networking events
- Access to our jobs website
To find out more about the Graduation Package, please visit our Class of 2019 website.