Over the next 12 months, the University is replacing VITAL – the University’s current virtual learning environment – with Canvas.
By next year, all undergraduate and taught postgraduate modules will use Canvas.
This semester, a number of students will start using Canvas. Some students may need to use both Canvas and VITAL this year.
Your academic team will let you know if you will be taught using Canvas, and clear signposting and links in both Canvas and VITAL will help you find your academic modules easily.
Regardless of the virtual learning environment you’re using, you will be able to access all the learning resources you need.
What can Canvas do?
Depending on how your Canvas courses have been set up, you can use Canvas to:
- access materials for your modules
- submit assignments
- view your grades and get feedback on your work
- start discussions and collaborate with other students, lecturers or tutors
- access your reading lists where they have been enabled by your lecturer or tutor
Canvas Help for Students course
The Canvas Help for Students course includes a range of information and short films about Canvas, explaining more about its different features and how to use tools, such as Canvas Studio, which you can use to create your own videos and Ally, which is great for recommending more accessible types of content.
The course also has information on how you can personalise your Canvas profile and amend your notification settings. We recommend you set this to ‘Notify me right away’ so you don’t miss any important announcements, conversations or updates.
Canvas Student app
Canvas is designed so that it works equally as well on phones and tablets as on PCs. To download your free ‘Canvas Student’ app, follow these five simple steps:
- Go to your App Store and search for Canvas Student.
- Download and open the App.
- Use the Find my school button to search for the University of Liverpool.
- You will be taken to the following screen.
- Click on Liverpool Users and use your University MWS username and password to log in and start using Canvas.
For more information about Canvas, logging on to Canvas and getting help and support, please visit our Canvas webpages.