Congratulations you’ve made it! New friends, packed schedules and navigating your way around a new city – we know there’s a lot going on for you during Welcome Week, which is why we’ve put together this handy guide that sets out the key information you need.
Things you need to do
Use our Welcome webpages to work through everything you need to do before starting your studies.
After listening to Student feedback, our Guild of Students have secured a range of annual and semester passes from Arriva, which fit around your timetable. Available at the Guild Shop, passes range from £155 for a term 1 pass to £400 for a full year pass which saves you up to £30.
Welcome Week programme
Welcome Week offers a range of events and activities all designed to welcome you to the University, encourage you to explore the city and make friends. The programme covers both centrally ran and departmental events – we would encourage you to attend as many of your department’s events as possible.
- University Square
Check out the activities on University Square happening Tuesday, 20 to Thursday, 22 September. On Tuesday and Thursday, you have the opportunity to meet the teams here to support you in making the most of your university experience: from Global Opportunities to Libraries, Campus Support to Sustainability. Tomorrow (Wednesday, 21 September), our Part-time Jobs Fair on the Square will feature over 25 companies from across the Liverpool City Region hoping to recruit students for various part-time, temporary or casual roles. More information about all central activities can be found here.
- Welcome Fair
The Welcome Fair runs over two days. Day One running on Thursday, 22 September is your chance to meet incredible student brands, grab a whole load of freebies and get to know the Guild even better. We’re transforming the Guild, Guild Walk & our own Guild Marquee for a day of the best offers, free pizza and an opportunity to build your own Guild Experience.
Day Two, running on Friday, 23 September, offers you the chance to join a society – from Ballroom to BookSoc we have 200+ for you to join for free and the Welcome Fair is the best way to get to know them.
For the first time this year, guided group tours will be available at the Guild Welcome Fair to support those who would like to attend in a supportive group of peers. You can book onto a tour on the Guild webpages.
- Guild events
From a comedy night with Russell Kane, to a drag night with Ru Paul legends The Vivienne and Tia Kofi, the Guild have organised some incredible events that will kick off the start of term in style.
- International student welcome events
As a new international/European student, you’re invited to Hello International! which is a week-long induction programme opening with the ‘Let’s Get Started – what you need to know’ presentation on Tuesday, 20 September.
- Halls events
Living in our halls of residence? From BBQs to baking, find out what events your halls have planned to help you get to know your new flatmates.
- Departmental welcome activities
Throughout Welcome Week your department will host events and activities designed to help you get to know your academic area better. You can find further details on your department’s welcome website.
Here to Help
Got a question? During Welcome Week you will see staff and student helpers wearing ‘Here to Help’ t shirts or gilets, they will be able to answer any questions you may have or help you find the service you need, so please don’t hesitate to ask them for help.
You can also visit our ‘Here to Help Hub’ which will be available to drop-in to all week for support and guidance in the 502 Teaching Hub next to the Guild of Students.
Download the My Liverpool app
Change can be both exciting and daunting, so remember that help and advice is always available. To discuss your concerns, or simply to get some useful advice, contact our Student Services team.
We understand that meeting new people and finding your friends can be a top priority for all students and you can feel under pressure to meet your friends in the first few days. Our Liverpool Guild of Students have put together this guide to support you in finding opportunities to meet new people throughout your University experience.
Tips and reminders
- Visit Liverpool Life to make sure we have your current term-time address. This will ensure any requests for status or bank letters are produced with the right address on.
- Have you uploaded your photo to Liverpool Life? Upload your picture as soon as you can for your student ID card.
- If you are a new undergraduate, remember to return your signed declaration to Student Finance. We can’t confirm your attendance to Student Finance England until you’ve done it, which could cause a delay in money finding its way to you.
- Our University is lucky to have many student-facing teams whose job it is to make sure you have a great time here. Meet them in our new video series.
- Remember to follow us on Facebook, Instagram (@LivUni and @LivUniStudents) Twitter and TikTok, using the hashtag #TeamLivUni. You can find a full list of social media accounts to follow on our Social Media page.
- Familiarise yourself with your academic timetable– available on the Timetables App and in the Timetable Portal.
- Keep yourself and your new friends safe as you explore the city this week. Read our top tips for a safe night out.
- We’ve got lots of handy apps – download the University apps you need now to get ready for the new term.
- Keep up to date with everything that’s going on around campus during the year via Student News.
Have a great week!