The University of Liverpool is proud to have joined the Breastfeeding Mayoral Quality Mark promoting campus as a breastfeeding friendly environment. The University is committed to supporting staff, students, customers and visitors who are breastfeeding their children whilst visiting the campus.
Amy Causley, Head of HR Policy and Employee Engagement, said: “We are proud to be part of the city-wide campaign to promote a welcoming environment for breastfeeding mothers in all our public spaces.
“Although women have the right to breastfeed their baby wherever and whenever they choose to, the Bambi organisation is very aware that some women can feel apprehensive breastfeeding in public. By joining the charter and displaying the logo we hope that women will feel confident and comfortable breastfeeding their child when visiting our campus.”
(Left to right): Sarah Todd, Bambis coordinator, Liverpool City Council, Amy Causley, Head of HR Policy and Employee Engagement and Sally Middleton, Gender Equality Officer.
The Bambis Commitment
By signing up to the Breastfeeding Friendly Charter, the University of Liverpool has agreed to commit to the following:
- We welcome babies to be breastfed in any publically accessible area of the University campus (e.g. café’s, common areas).
- A mother, who is breastfeeding, will not be asked to move or stop breastfeeding.
- We understand that some women prefer privacy when breastfeeding and we will do all we can to help them.
- We will always provide a free glass of water to any breastfeeding mother.
- We will always provide a free cup of tea or filter coffee per visit.
The following venues have been identified as our main Bambis areas:
- Augustus John Pub
- Chemistry Building Cafe’
- Leahurst House Café
- Life Science Building Café
- Liverpool Guild – Sphinx Bar, Court Yard Bar, Starbucks
- London Campus Café
- Management School Café
- Ness Gardens Café
- Sydney Jones Library Café
- Vine Court Café
- Waterhouse Café (Victoria Gallery & Museum)
Look for the Bambis logo to find out if the area is breastfeeding friendly.
Further information about the charter can be found on the HR website https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/hr/diversityandequality/athenaswan/bambis/
Further information on the location of family friendly facilities can be found on the HR Intranet [Internal link] https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/intranet/hr/diversity-equality/gender/breastfeedingbabyfacilities/