This summer will see essential works taking place across the Sydney Jones Library. Works will begin on Monday, 5 June and will last for up to 12 weeks.
While the works take place, the following areas of the Sydney Jones Library will be closed to users:
- First and second floors of the Grove Wing
- The Abercromby Wing atrium (ground floor area near helpdesk)
- Abercromby Wing PC suite
The Sydney Jones Researcher Reading Room, Prayer Room and Library Garden will remain open, and you can still access the Archaeology collection. Special Collection & Archives will remain open and is still accessible by appointment.
Due to the building works, study space in the Sydney Jones Library will be reduced and at times there may be higher than normal levels of noise. You can find a list of other study spaces on campus via the Library FAQ page and use the Find a PC app to locate a computer.
The Harold Cohen Library will remain open, with some temporary space closures due to necessary accessibility works.
During the building works, users will not be able to get direct, shelf access, to the majority of the Sydney Jones physical book collections. To access physical materials from the Sydney Jones library you will need to use our Click and Collect service. The service is open Monday to Friday.
Why is this work taking place now?
To minimise disruption, the work is taking place during the summer as this is the Library’s quietest time. However, we know that this period is very important for our postgraduate and research communities.
We want to apologise in advance for any issues caused by the building works and want to reassure you that colleagues are working hard to mitigate any possible disruption. Library staff will be on hand to signpost you to alternative spaces and services where possible.
Dr Matt Greenhall, Director of Libraries, Museums and Galleries said: “We want our libraries to offer the very best service they can to our users, both now and in the future. This will require us to make important and necessary changes to our buildings.
“Undertaking this work during the summer, when the occupancy of our buildings is at its lowest, will allow contractors to make quicker progress, and inconvenience as few users and colleagues as possible. Thanks to our users for your continued understanding as we undertake this essential work.”
Questions or concerns
You can find a list of FAQs about the building works via the Library Help pages.
If you have any concerns or questions, please get in touch with the Library team who will be able to help.
Key things to know:
- Harold Cohen Library will remain open throughout the building works
- Majority of Library services and resources remain accessible online
- Sydney Jones Library opening hours: 9am-6pm, seven days a week (staffed Monday-Friday)
- Researcher Reading Room, Archaeology collection, Prayer Room and Library Garden will remain open throughout the building works
- Special Collections & Archives will remain open, accessible by appointment only
- Click and Collect will be available Monday to Friday
- Library staff are happy to help with any specific needs