Ask for Angela is the campaign used to keep people safe from sexual assault in bars and other venues by using a codeword to identify when they are in danger or are in an uncomfortable situation.
When an establishment uses this programme, a person who believes themselves to be in danger can Ask for Angela, a fictitious member of the staff. The staff will then help the person get home discreetly and safely by either escorting them to a different room, calling them a taxi and escorting them to it, or by asking the other party member to leave the establishment.
The team behind the campaign are looking for help
Students are invited to submit ideas for a new design that will be used in a renewed advertising campaign across Merseyside.
The design for the campaign must include the key message ‘Ask for Angela’. The overall aim of this competition is to increase safety and awareness for people if they are feeling vulnerable whilst out, as well as providing the great opportunity for students to have their design used in venues across Merseyside.
The competition is open to students on Architecture and Media & Communication based courses. Full information can be found here.
The final decision on the winning design will be made by Merseyside Police, with advice and consultation from Ask for Angela and the Merseyside Police Graphic Design team.
The winning design will feature in a renewed Ask for Angela advertising campaign across Merseyside. This will include Merseyside Police social media, venue posters and Merseyside Police vehicle graphics.
The winner will receive £100 Cass Art vouchers and goodie bag containing £30 worth of art supplies. Two runner-up prizes of a Cass Art goodie bag worth £30 will also be awarded.
An informal event is taking place at Cass Art (18 School Lane) on Sunday, 4 June 12pm-3pm with Craig Walsh from Merseyside Police. At the event you can talk to Craig about your design ideas and Cass Art will provide drawing materials.
- The competition is open to all Art & Design based students currently studying at a Merseyside educational Colleges or Universities.
- Entrants must be over the age of 18 on the competition deadline.
- All design entries must be the property of the submitting designer. Any copyright infringements will lead to the expulsion from the competition. By entering, the designer agrees that they are the creator and hold sole rights to the design.
- The winning designer will enter into an agreement with Merseyside Police to irrevocably assign all rights in the winning design to them. This might include all types of use on any medium.
- Merseyside Police may alter or amend the design to accommodate situational dimension requirements.
- Individuals directly or indirectly concerned with the competition and members, or their families are excluded from competition
- A design should be excluded from the competition if it is received after the announced closing date, or it does not respect the terms and conditions.
- Entries must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The names of the prize-winners will be announced publicly within two months of the closing date of the competition.
- By entering the competition, the designer agrees to all Terms & Conditions.
Submit your entry
The competition closes on Sunday 18 June 2023. Entries must be received via email to email@example.com