I need support: Who can help?

As a University of Liverpool student, you have access to a range of services and facilities specially designed to help you during every step of your university journey.

We’ve rounded up some of the key services and teams you should know about and remember, if you ever need help, please reach out.

Below you’ll find:

  • Help during Welcome
  • Academic help
  • Wellbeing help
  • Online safety help
  • Where to go for help on campus
  • Help for international students
  • Help for students living in halls

Help during Welcome

Here to Help Hub

Head to the Central Teaching Hub to ask staff about ID card collection, IT Services and Student Administration from Monday, 18 to Friday, 22 September. The International Advice & Guidance team will be located in the Hub too.

I need academic help


KnowHow is a free academic skills service for all of our students. You can access a range of workshops, webinars and online tutorials to help you with every aspect of your studies including academic writing, referencing, working with statistics and managing your time.

Learning Teaching Support Officer

Every Faculty has Learning Teaching Support Officers who can help you with advice, guidance, wellbeing concerns. The Officers can also advise you on processes to do with your studies, such as extenuating circumstances, but also signpost you to specialist support services.

Academic Adviser

You will be assigned an Academic Advisor who will provide you with information and advice about academic matters. You can find your Advisor’s details in Liverpool Life once your programme begins.

Student Experience Office

Your school or department will have its own Student Experience Office and the team will be able to help you with most queries you have about your programme, from timetabling and module registration, through to assessment arrangements.

I need wellbeing help

Our Student Services teams can be found in the Student Life centre in the Alsop Building on the main University square.

Wellbeing Practitioner

If you would like to talk confidentially about an issue that might be troubling you, you can speak to our Wellbeing Practitioners in person, online or over the phone. They will work with you on a range of issues from anxiety to loneliness. You can also access online self-help guides, or book onto a number of wellbeing clinics.


The Wellbeing Team can refer you to the Counselling Service for single session therapy. You can access a first appointment quickly, often within a week. For more enduring issues they can also offer long-term therapy.

Mental Health Adviser

The Mental Health Advisory Service will work with you if you have mental health difficulties which are significantly affecting your day-to-day life. The Mental Health Advisers are ready to help you achieve your full potential at University.

Health Assured

If you prefer to speak to someone outside of the University, as a student you have free access to Health Assured, a 24/7 confidential advice line staffed by qualified counsellors and advisers.

University Chaplains

You can speak with the University Chaplaincy team, who welcome students of all faiths.


If you experience or witness any harassment, bullying or sexual or physical misconduct, please tell us using the online Report + Support tool. Alternatively you can speak to a member of the  Wellbeing Practitioner Team. We will take you seriously and there are a range of sanctions for students whose behaviour fails to meet the high standards we expect from everyone in our community.

Guild advice

The Guild offer free and confidential advice to all our students.

Sport Liverpool

Keeping active can help with your mental health. Sport Liverpool have a great range of class sports, clubs and fitness facilities.

Disability Advice and Guidance

The Disability Advice and Guidance Team are here to advise you and liaise with academic departments, University accommodation and services about any reasonable adjustments you might need. You can also drop-in to see one of our student Disability Coaches who, as disabled students, can offer advice based on their own student experiences.

I need online safety help

IT Services can help you with scams, antivirus software and data security advice.

We’ve also rounded up some key safety advice around phone scams via Student News.

If you ever need help with an online incident, please visit Report + Support for guidance.

I need help on campus

Campus Support

The Campus Support Team help keep campus a safe and secure place to live, study and work. The team can be contacted using the emergency number 0151 794 2222.

Chaperone Service

Campus Support run a dedicated chaperone service on campus, that runs 24 hours a day. If you feel vulnerable and would like to be escorted across campus at night, please call Campus Support at any time on 0151 794 3252.

Campus police officer

The University has a dedicated Police Officer – PC Andy Woolford – who works alongside our Campus Support Services team and can offer practical safety advice and support regarding any potential crime related issues.

Email: a.woolford@liverpool.ac.uk.

I’m an international student. Who can help me?

International and Guidance Adviser

If you are an international student our International Advice and Guidance Team will be able to help you with visas, working in the UK and other aspects of University life.

I live in halls. Who can help me?

Residential Adviser/Hall Warden

If you’re living in Halls, our friendly Wardens and Residential Advisers are on hand to support you. We hold events across the year so there’s lots to get involved with and everyone is welcome.